Monday 21 September 2020

Sneak peeks and story snippets pt. 1

 Every so often I'd like to share pieces from the writing process, giving you, my dear readers, a peek into the story as it unfolds.

This book already was a long time in the making. I created the first artwork of Ayalynneah on August 4th last year. Since then the story around her, her brother and their friends has grown inside of me. Since then I have been writing down plot ideas, drawn more concept art.

Really sitting down to start writing the manuscript was a little terrifying, but also positively thrilling.

Days into the writing and I feel SO GOOD about it. It feels RIGHT, it is the right time to begin bringing this story out into the world.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but in my head there definitely are enough ideas to fill more than one book. Which is one reason, why I'm referring to this one as the "first" book, or "book one".

So, book one of "The Hidden Kingdoms" has the title "The Eyes of Magic".

Here's a little snippet which directly plays into that title. Happy reading and tell me what you think.


“Now I’m scared…what if the same happens to me?” Ayalynneah asked in a hushed voice. She had kept her voice really low, but apparently not low enough, as the headmaster had heard her. He smiled at her and gave her an encouraging nod, beckoning her to step up to him. She looked at Althar, who nodded too. “Go. It will be fine, you will see.”

Taking a deep breath, the girl approached the crystal and put her right hand on it. It began glowing, but there was something else, like it was humming. She felt the vibration in her fingers, giving her a tingling warm sensation. The feeling spread out, from her fingers up her arm and into her chest. The warmth grew and grew, until it felt like something burst open inside her and she immediately felt it. Her magic.

“It’s warm…” she uttered, smiling brightly. She let go of the crystal, its light dimming and disappearing.

Althar stepped up right behind her. He confidently reached for the crystal, expecting a similar outcome. Once more the stone lit up and everyone expected to see the boy’s eyes take on the characteristic golden color.

Only…they didn’t.

Villyrd gasped alarmed and took a step back, almost dropping the crystal. Sevandine and Ciall both jumped from their seats, mumbling protection spells.

Their reactions confused not only Althar, but also the entire crowd, people started murmuring. But then the young elf turned around and they all saw. His eyes weren’t golden.

The magic inside of him had turned his once silvery grey eyes a deep crimson red.

 

I hope you liked this little snippet.

Next up will be the introduction of Althar. So stay tuned!

Until then, my dear readers, have a good day or night, wherever you are.

Amber

2 comments:

  1. I am captivated. The way you tell the story with the surprise element in it keep me engaged. This will be that book that keeps me in my seat for as long as it takes and keeps me up at night. Wonderful work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm happy that you like my writing.
      I'm currently only on the first draft, so it will take some time until it's finally published. I hope you will read he full book then.
      Thanks again, I really appreciate your comment.

      Delete